Saturday 4 December 2010

Loss for words

I started this blog about a month ago, soon after Bruno passed away. A million memories and thoughts were rushing in my head and it seemed inadequate to put it in one article. Since then, apart from a few pictures and one really cute video, I haven't uploaded anything at all. That isn't because I have been busy, or haven't thought about it, but losing Bruno seems more and more unreal as days go by and it has become increasingly difficult to write in his memory.
I landed in Pune on 21st November, exactly a month after he passed away, to spend a week at home, and also to bring in my mother's 60th birthday. This trip was planned months ago, in fact the original plan was to surprise my parents, and perhaps pack up and drive out for a holiday with Bruno and them. Things didn't exactly go according to plan, I ended up telling them about my visit, we didn't drive out on any holiday, and we all missed Bruno all the time.
Bianca, our earlier fox terrier died in my arms in 2001. I cried every time I went home for a whole month. The mornings seemed empty, and nobody displays as much affection to see you when you get home as dog. Bruno played a different role in our lives - sure he greeted us every time we went home, and sure his face always stuck out of the window waiting to see when we would get back. He would wake me up in the mornings, first gently and then by dropping the ball on my feet. When that didn't get him any response, he would patiently lie at my feet until he decided I had slept enough and then would drop the ball near my face and demand vocally that I get up and play.
Bruno didn't allow us to be bored at home, any extra time was play time. Vasishta, my brother, invented a whole bunch of creative, energetic games which Bruno got addicted to. When Vasishta wasn't around, Bruno almost instructed us to play those games the same way, because the old game of fetch became lame by his standards. Bruno was the energy, the life of the home, and not having him around really leaves an indescribable void.
I haven't written on this blog because I haven't found the words. Emotions are too strong and sentences seem too weak. We could never get another Bruno in our lives, he was too special. Yes, in my life there is always room for another dog, but thats a whole new journey with brand new memories.

2 comments:

  1. Just read through this blog, and cannot help but cry. Till date i do not think i am mentally prepared to let go of any of my dogs...the fear of losing them grips me every few days.
    I cannot imagine how you folks coped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly ever look at this blog - fills me with guilt that i don't write often enough. There is no trick to coping, it just sucks. I think its time and another pet that helps replace the pain with fond memories. Thanks for reading and posting.

    ReplyDelete